Wednesday 1 October 2014

Week Back to School: School playground

Posted by Kate DIY at 01:45
Recycled craft DIY desk organizerI’ve been saving some cereal boxes and toilet paper/paper towel rolls for awhile. I’m not just some weird hoarder – I had a purpose. My goal was to recycle these items in a Mod Podge project. I thought, if everyone else can use these items for crafts, I can too. So I challenged myself! It’s kind of fun to do that sometimes to see what you come up with.
Based on what I had in my stash, I created this DIY desk organizer, aka the perfect recycled craft. I just used what was on hand so I didn’t even spend one dollar for this. I won’t say it’s totally free because you might have to buy some supplies . . . but you should challenge yourself to see how cheaply you can make it! Here’s how I made mine using decoupage.
Gather These Supplies
  • Cereal boxes and toilet paper rolls
  • Wood plaques
  • Mod Podge Satin– if children do this project, use Mod Podge Kids Washout
  • Acrylic paint in the colors of your choice
  • Scrapbook paper to cover your boxes and rolls
  • Ribbon in coordinating colors
  • Scissors
  • Craft knife 
  • Craft Glue
  • Paintbrush
  • Pen or pencil
  • Ruler
  • Tape
IMG_6169Here are my supplies. I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to turn this pile o’ stuff into a desk organizer, but hey, it was a challenge. Right?
IMG_6170I had no idea how to measure the cereal box for my bins, I’m going to be honest with you. So I just cut 1/4th of the box off of the bottom and then proceeded to cut the rest of the box in that same manner. I knew I would have a front row and a back row, so I made the “back row” of boxes taller than the front row.
IMG_6171So here is a finished bin. I also made two smaller compartments by cutting the larger compartments down and taping them. Don’t worry – you’ll cover over that tape with Mod Podge and paper.
IMG_6172I’m completely exhausted at this point. But I have a structure for my desk organizer! If you like, trim the TP/paper towel tubes to different heights to add interest.
IMG_6173I needed to take a break from cutting cereal boxes, so I painted my plaque. Choose colors that coordinate with your paper, paint the whole plaque and then let dry.
IMG_6174Now this is an optional step . . . but I used some white paint on the edges of my cereal boxes and tubes. Sometimes my paper doesn’t match EXACTLY and I didn’t want the brown of the tubes or the colors of the box to show (since they didn’t match). If you are particular, you might want to do this. If not, don’t worry about it.
IMG_6175Now that everything is painted and ready, time to trace. Take a pencil or pen and trace each compartment on your scrapbook paper.
IMG_6176Cut everything out.
IMG_6177Add Mod Podge to the backs of all of the papers . . .
IMG_6180And then proceed to decoupage your compartments with paper and Mod Podge. Hold everything down, smooth and let dry 15 – 20 minutes. Then give it a top coat.
IMG_6181Don’t forget to Mod Podge your plaque as well, just to seal.
IMG_6184Add ribbon to the top edge of each compartment with the craft glue. I did it on the rolls as well.
IMG_6189Glue each compartment down to the plaque using craft glue. You’ll see white around the edges, but it will dry clear.
Recycled craft DIY desk organizerWhat do you think – are you up for making a DIY desk organizer of your own? What would you Mod Podge from cereal boxes and toilet paper rolls?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

DIY tutorials by Kate Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review